Thursday, February 4, 2016

Gender Fluid

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2016/01/28/jaden-smith-poses-wearing-skirt-gender-fluid-vogue-shoot/

After today's discussion about the definition of gender fluid and what that looks like in our society, I thought it would be interesting to type the term into google news and see what the latest talk about it around the world has been. In an article I found online, Jaden Smith is the center of attention. Jaden Smith is the son of Will and Jada-Pinkett Smith, both who are famous actors and often in the media spot light. I found it interesting that in the article all it talked about was how much praise he got for not following the masculinity norms. As I read I kept coming back to the question of, why do celebrities get praise for the same thing that normal teenagers and kids get bullied for every day? I also wondered what his parents dealt with and how they feel about him being gender fluid and in the public eye. In class we talked about how the parents experience almost as much difficulty as the kids do in dealing with things like this. After doing more research, I found quotes that showed nothing but support for their son and who he wanted to be, and I hope that as time goes on this becomes the way that all parents and people around the world are towards anyone who might be a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment